Volunteering at the Farms
Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields offer a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
Most of our volunteers work in the summer, but there are opportunities available year round.
Please call 236-2739 or email for more information and to receive a volunteer registration form.
Aldermere Farm is a fun and eventful place to volunteer as well as scenic and calming.
Descriptions of Volunteer Opportunities
- Trail Maintenance – Regularly walk our trails and remove branches or trash, and report to farm staff any “rule violations.” (All year)
- Gardening – Work with a team of Master Gardeners on various flower gardens throughout the farm. (April through October)
- Fence Inspection & Repair – Walk fences with farm staff and repair from winter damage. (Spring)
- Haying – Driving trucks and/or tractors, as experience allows, or handling hay bales. (June through October)
- Field Weed Control – Cutting invasive plants from pastures, when cattle are not in them! (June through October)
- Visitor Center – Welcome visitors to Aldermere Farm, answer questions, discuss Maine Coast Heritage Trust, and supporting agriculture. No experience is necessary, and training will be provided. (June through October)
- Event Planning – Assist with the planning and execution of various events at the farm such as the annual Art Show and Sale, Calf Unveiling, Farm Open House, etc. (All year)
- Guided Tours – Nature Walks – For those who have a naturalist background/hobby and can share and explain the farm’s/property’s features with visitors. (All year)
- Guided Tours – Farm – To lead groups around the farm after receiving appropriate training. (June through October)
- Grant Writing – Help farm identify opportunities for fundraising and then assist in the writing of proposals. (All year)
- Painting & Staining – Work around the farm scraping and/or painting, along with staining of houses, farm buildings and fences. (May through September)
- Maintenance on Buildings – Provide support on various projects, including new construction, repairs, shingling roofs, etc. (April through October)
- Maintenance on Equipment – Lend assistance on maintaining and repairing equipment (All year)
- Grounds Care – To include raking, mowing lawns, and/or trimming grass (April through October)
- Cattle – Work with young calves and/or show cattle as we introduce them to humans, being haltered, and being led safely. (All year)