MCHT staff at Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields work with various organizations and community-led initiatives to promote sustainable agriculture and food security in the midcoast.
For more information about the following initiatives and to learn how you can get involved, email .
Knox County Food Council
Maine Coast Heritage Trust is a founding member of the Knox County Food Council, a community-based coalition that formed in 2019 to promote a more resilient food system in Knox County, Maine.
The Council is part of the Maine Network of Community Food Councils. Food councils across the state of Maine and across the county collaborate to improve health, food access, natural resource protection, economic development, and production agriculture for all their communities’ citizens. Using this cross-sector approach, food councils solve broad food system issues and give communities more control over the food they consume.
The Knox County Food Council is comprised of community members and representatives from various businesses and non-profits including Aldermere Farm, Erickson Fields, AIO Food & Energy Assistance, Good Shepherd Food Bank, Knox County Gleaners, Knox County Homeless Coalition, and Salvation Army Rockland.
- Knox County Food Council’s Mission, Vision, and Charter
- Endorse the Knox County Food Council’s Charter
- Knox County Food Council’s Charter Champions
- Subscribe to receive news from Knox County Food Council
Maine Food Convergence Project
Maine Coast Heritage Trust is an organizational partner of the Maine Food Convergence, a project bringing together a broad and diverse representation of Maine’s local food networks to:
- Build greater connectivity and resilience within every corner of Maine’s food system, especially those historically left out of the conversations;
- Convene Maine’s local food movements for deep, facilitated conversations;
- Create new opportunities for collaboration from the grassroots to grasstops, leading to a state-wide food system convergence and active follow-up organizing;
- Question our assumptions, identify common ground and move toward a shared vision of a food system that meets the needs of all Mainers while nurturing a healthy environment.
Learn more at mainefoodconvergence.org.
Midcoast Farmers Alliance
In 2015, Maine Coast Heritage Trust formed the Midcoast Farmers’ Alliance to build a support network for area farmers. The Alliance has partnered with the Knox-Lincoln Soil & Water Conservation district to offer educational workshops and farm tours led by its members. Every year, Erickson farm and Program Manager, Aaron Englander, coordinates group Fedco orders in the winter and early spring, which provide significant cost savings for participating members. To request more information about the Alliance and participating in the group Fedco orders, email .